Host an Event
What’s Involved in Hosting a Courageous Grandparenting Seminar?
Thank you for your interest in hosting a Courageous Grandparenting Seminar or Conference in your community. The following information will help you start the process and grasp what to expect.
WHAT IS THE CONFERENCE ABOUT?
The Courageous Grandparenting conference is designed to work alongside churches or conference groups to help engage and equip this generation of grandparents in the battle for the hearts, minds and souls of the next generation—their grandchildren. These events will help grandparents understand the cultural realities of today and how to prepare our grandchildren to walk in the truth in a world that rejects truth.
Five strategic plenary sessions address the cultural challenges and how to counter them in a life that finishes well:
- WAKE UP! Building a Legacy That Matters: Do you believe that grandparents matter? God does, and He has a lot to say to us about His expectations for grandparents. In this session, we’ll unpack what God’s Word has to say about two of three critical roles God intends for grandparents in the family. We’ll also examine why we can’t give what we don’t have, and what God has already done to equip us to help our grandchildren navigate the world today and walk in the truth.
- TAKE UP! Two Pivotal Roles: The Gospel ought to shape how we live our lives daily in our family, church and community. The Gospel also clarifies our roles as grandparents. This session will unpack two of the three roles that are pivotal in how the gospel impacts another generation.
- BUILD UP! Unleashing the Power of Spoken Blessing: One of the most overlooked, transformational tools God has given to us to help our children succeed in life and understand God’s purpose for them is the spoken blessing. This session unpacks the what, why and how of this powerful tool.
- GEAR UP! Allies or Adversaries (Adult Children Relationships): A grandparent’s impact upon grandchildren rests to a great extent upon the relationship we have with our adult children. This session discusses five anchor points that make it possible for us to build and maintain healthy relationships, and to mend broken ones.
- STEP UP! Taking Back the Hill Country: God is calling out a movement of courageous grandparents to take back the hill country (Joshua 14:6-15). We can be the embodiment of the Issachar Factor (1 Chronicles 12:32) as we draw upon the wisdom of God to understand our times and know what to do. Where do we go from here?
OPTIONAL WORKSHOP SESSIONS:
- LIVE UP! A Legacy Worthy of Outliving You;This session explores a new paradigm for the Living Will we call the Living Living Will. You will discover an intriguing new way of viewing the assets God has given you and how to use them to build a faith legacy that outlives you for generations
- KEEP UP! Untangling the Technology Web:The digital world can feel overwhelming. We can either become captives to technology or learn to master it for God’s purpose. In this session we examine some tools and traps of this digital world, and how to help our grandchildren navigate them without be taken captive.
- SPEAK UP! Helping Your Grandkids Rightly Evaluate Pop Culture: There is an endless stream of voices screaming wrong messages about life and meaning. Can grandparents truly engage with this ‘post-truth’ generation in a meaningful way? We believe the answer is a resounding “yes”, and this session will explore ways to start the conversation.
- CONNECT UP! Staying Engaged as Long Distance Grandparents: How do you stay connected with your grandchildren when you are disconnected by distance? We’ll explore practical ways to stay connected and make a difference in spite of the many miles in between.
*New to our program is the addition of a strategically important DADS AND GRANDDADS ONLY event on the evening preceding the seminar. MAN UP! In Search of True Heroes tackles the challenges of godly manhood in today’s world and offers some practical principles for being that true hero our children and grandchildren need and deserve. We recommend this be a free event and serve as an additional promo for the next day’s seminar.
WHAT IS A TYPICAL SCHEDULE FOR A CG CONFERENCE?
- Typically runs from Friday evening (2 hours) through Saturday (9:00 am to 4:30 pm).
- Lunch should be provided as part of the event
- Each plenary session is approximately 45 minutes in length
- Break Outs run approximately 1 hour
- Final session also includes a Q&A time
HOW MANY SPEAKERS ARE INVOLVED IN A CONFERENCE?
We typically use one presenter for the Courageous Grandparenting conferences. However, many of our presenter teams are couples, which makes for a much more interesting and engaging presentation. If it is not financially practical for a church to bring in a couple, we can work with you to have just one presenter. Either way, our sessions are very inter-active so everyone gets involved.
Break out workshop sessions will require additional speakers. CGN may be able to provide some of these if desired. A better option is for the host facility to recruit workshop leaders from their own community. We only ask that we be allowed to collaborate to determine what workshops will be offered and who is best qualified to present the workshops.
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A CONFERENCE AND A SEMINAR?
WHAT IS THE COST TO HOST A CONFERENCE?
We ask that Host Churches or groups provide an honorarium plus travel, lodging and meals costs related to the event you will be hosting. For specific information about honorarium fees for our Presenters, please contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone: 719-522-1404. We will be happy to discuss these costs with you prior to sending out a contract.
Here are a few additional expenses you will need to consider when planning your event:
- Lunch: If you are a church, you decide whether to cater or provide a meal prepared and served by volunteers.
- Promotion/Publicity: You will want to print fliers, perhaps submit a press release to your local paper or radio stations, put up posters, etc. CGN will supply the necessary artwork and press release content for you to use if you choose.
- Facility: Will you have facility expenses to host the seminar? Will you need to provide overnight housing for participants?
- Workshops: If you will be inserting break out groups on various topics, we recommend a minimum $100 honorarium per break out for speakers that will be used for Break Outs.
- Handouts for the seminar: CGN can supply a standard conference folder for the event that includes the schedule and session topics with spaces for note taking by participants plus the location, date and time of the event printed on the folder. Contact us for the cost of the pre-printed folders you will need for your event. We can also provide Word.doc handout sheets for each of the plenary sessions that you can copy yourself for participants in lieu of the folders.